Sunday, January 11, 2015

River, Roots and Ruts - 13.1 Mile Trail Race


Run - Trail race - 15th place/1st in age group today
-
1:39:11 - 13.10 miles - 07:34 per mile pace (hills, dirt, hills, man-mad obstructions and mud)
 -
I went out fast and then maintained in today's race. A few miles after mile 8 I made a wrong turn and  ran a 1/4 mile out of my way. A kind runner who I had recently passed gave me the heads up (otherwise I would have kept going in the wrong direction); I turned around and followed him through the next 3 miles - the hilly and technical section - until about mile 12 and the finish was certain. I know I said to him, "come on, let's bring this home" - but he didn't respond as I picked up the pace considerably. I finished strong and was very happy to drop about 10 minutes off last years time at this race. Actually, I was surprised to learn that I finished in 15th place overall and 1st in my age-group. It has been a long time since I have ran so competitively and it felt really good. 
-

No comments:

Post a Comment