Monday, March 30, 2015

MyHowl - Mar 29 > Apr 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday
The week is going well and my volume is good. I actually logged this years 800th running mile earlier today. I also registered for my 3rd attempt at the Keys 50 from Marathon to Key West, FL. I hope to get in some heavy running miles in April and then gently taper down to race day on May, 16th. I do need a couple of long runs of 3 to 4 hours and preferably some back to back long days in order to train my legs to run tired. Last year I came back from 2012's DNF to finish 15th overall and 1st in the 45-49 age group. My birthday is May 14 so this year I will be running my first race in the 50 - 54 bracket. It looks like Mimi Reeves, Howard Helbein and David Mioduskewski are going to help pace me. 

Monday
You know, I haven't weighed-in for a long time. I stopped doing my weekly weigh-ins because I would get too disappointed. I still have at least 10 pounds to drop (I think) to return to my pre-TBI running weight of 139 pounds. After my hospitalization and initial recovery phase I had ballooned up to 174 pounds. It has been impossible to lose all of the weight. I have returned to the same training level and adopted a vegan life-style but I remain a fatty. On the positive side, my running is getting faster but at a rate much slower than I would like. I suppose it goes hand in hand with my weight. Yes, I am seeing improvements and I have a glimmer of hope; running has become the symbolic symbol that I have used to rate my recovery. I must be losing a little weight though, because I am running a little bit faster. The scale awaits and I will succumb soon.
Sunday
Last week was pretty strong and I feel my legs returning to their running life. Today is another conflict altogether; as it is late in the morning and getting up and getting myself started is a struggle. TBI is a bitch. I have so much of me motivated and my creative-thinking-lobes trying to engage, but outside of my physical desire to regain my running ability, the motivation and or capability does not seem to be there. Running is something that I can do. It is still hard and I am nowhere near the runner I was before my accident, but the act of doing it is pretty simple. If I could just apply the same diligence to other aspects of my life; to simply be okay with slow and limited progress, I probably would begin to learn again. Running has been just like that as during my initial return to running I could only manage a 12 minute pee mile pace during my runs (previous to the brain injury I was a sub 6:00 per mile runner at distances as long as a 1/2 marathon. Even though I am improving, it has been a slow progression at best. I still have not logged more than a couple of single miles at less than a 7:00 pace during my runs; although I have run low 7:00 runs for considerable distances. It is hard and although improvements come slowly and leave me discouraged, my drive continues. Slowly my lost ability is returning; now if I could apply the same focus to my cognitive growth, perhaps one day I could function in a new career ah...
-
Hi friends, please read this short TBI update:
I am happy today and I feel like bragging. I had a really great run. Even though my legs are tired from the 45 miles I have logged over the past 4 days, I ran well. Ordinarily this in itself wouldn't be a big deal, but today's 8 mile run felt special as I ran miles 5 and 6 at 6:55 and 6:56 per mile respectively. Pre traumatic brain injury, that was my typical marathon pace but countless (post TBI) 12:00+ miles have really hurt my feelings and crushed my confidence. The long and short of it is, my diligence is paying off and it feels better than it ever has. No longer do I dream to run as fast as did before my brain injury. Instead I dream of running faster than I could yesterday. It rocks when dreams come true!
-

Training (week total: 80.93)

Sat Run 2:10:00 - 12.82 mi - 10:08 pace
Trail run. Reduced to a walk/run after mile 10. The heat got me  and I am tired after a 3 week build: 60, 70 and 80 plus miles - progressively per week.
Fri Run 1:06:55 - 8.25 mi - 8:06 pace - 138 avg hr 
Hot/Humid/Tired Running Sticks
Thurs AM Run  1:03:05 - 7.57 mi - 7:20 pace -135 avg hr
Trail run at the trash heap. About 550 feet of elevation gain
Thurs PM Run 1:08:23 - 8:20 miles - 8:20 pace - 139 avg hr
Runners Depot - short run, but I got lost again. TBI drama :-(
Wed Run 1:12:46 - 9.23 mi - 7:53 pace 174 avg hr ?? hr seems high/off
Oops, I need to get out much earlier than noon now. Summer is back with its heat and humidity.
Tue AM Run 1:03:26 - 8.13 mi 7:48 pace 134 avg hr
Ran at the trash heap on the flats (not the hills or trails)

Tue PM Run 43;24 - 5.1 mi 8:30 pace - 8:30 pace

WOB run

Mon Run 1;40:26 - 13.22 mi - 7:35 pace - 149 avg hr

Good run. 

Sun Run 1:00:32 - 8. 41 mi - 7:11 pace - 141 avg hr
Excellent effort
-
Last week:
(1 rest day): 74.06.41 mi - last month: 296.78 mi - last year: 2,670.88 mi
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#traumatic #
BrainInjury #TBI #running #training #healing #politics #liberal #democratic #triathlons #UltraRunning #vegan #athletes #blogging #Google #Blogger #rants #howls #peace #love #WorldOfBeer #Beer #Facebook #marathon #PlantPower #liberal #secular #atheist #LeftWingPolitics #democratic #fitness #health #PlantBasedNutrition 

No comments:

Post a Comment