Sunday, May 10, 2015

MyHowl - May 10 > 16

Saturday 
So I did not finish today. At about mile 21 I made a decision to quit despite being in 6th place overall (3:30 into the day). The heat was too intense and I was already in survival mode. I couldn't/wouldn't torture myself endlessly today. I had mixed feelings about quitting but the price that I would have had to pay was too much. I am running a marathon next week and to hopefully save myself for one good race, I decided to make a choice. I'm glad that I did too. The conditions were so severe and I was definitely not alone in the DNF category. I was on pace to have a solid race, but my time goal would have been impossible and knowing that I want to run well next week made my choice easier. 
-
On a positive note, Sam Horowitz found an unbelievable will  and finished. I am humbled by his talent and drive. Yesterday was his day and I glow with pride. 

It is 4 am and predictably I cannot sleep. I managed 5 solid hours so that is pretty good. I spent a lot of nervous energy worrying about this race and now its just a few short hours away. I cannot tell myself enough, start at a slow and slow down., fuel early and often , stay positive and enjoy the day. I have done the work - I am ready.
Friday
PM (8:55) We Got to Marathon Key early this afternoon. After settling in we had a pasta dinner. My water consumption has been excellent today and I am feeling extremely restless. Mimi left Coral Springs at around 7 and should roll in before 10:39 pm. My pacer from last years race, Sam Horowitz, is physically and mentally prepared to complete the 50 mile trek. I am pulling for him too. However, my focus is personal. Gear is arranged for a simple morning departure. Sign-in is shortly before our mandatory pre race meeting at around 9 am - The start is at 10:00. The weather looks favorable (mid/high 80's) with winds from the east between 10 -20 miles per hour. hopefully the wind is a cross wind and not an head wind. I really intend to start at a conservative pace. I would love to keep a steady pace and improve last years time. Whatever happens, finishing is goal one.
-
AM Driving to our beach pad near the Start of the race this morning. The race starts about 3 miles north of the 7 Mile Bridge. I may or may not run a few miles today with a few strides- I don't know. Mostly I need to just hydrate and prepare my head for the task at hand. I have a healthy respect for the distance and I am nervous and ready.



Thursday
Happy Birthday to me - 50 years old an its okay. I feel fine. 

Wednesday
Today is a needed rest day from running. I feel unsettled because this puts limits on how much junk and booze that I can stuff into my pie hole on my lose the fat diet today. I suppose I will not drink anything more stiff than water. Its only 2:30 pm and to maintain my allotted caloric allowance I need to eat less than 600 calories. Or, I can just say screw it... hmm. Maybe I will drink coffee and take my dogs to the park. Yeah, I get bored, I eat, I stay bored, I drink, I get fat, I get angry, I get bored, I eat, I drink, I grow. Its an awful pattern for sure. But last night at the World of Beer run club, Darley's Angels said (unprompted) that I look like I have lost weight. Well that is music to my ears. Tomorrow I will put an honest run effort in, then Friday we drive to the beach pad. Golly gee, I am obsessing-fearing this race. I will be okay once I am running.

Tuesday
I am feeling the reality of The Keys 50 as race day quickly closes in. My 50th birthday is approaching even faster. I will be 50 in 2 days. Then the next day we drive to the Keys and settle into our beach pad, wake up and go run. - and run and run. I know at one point it sounded like the thing to do. I finished this race 1/2 tries (last year) - and it shouldn't be that extraordinary of a thing to do, right? Well, I am freaking out a bit. I feel great about my training and my running improvements but I am afraid. Yeah, I'm not a natural at this ultra running thingy. I have finished a few and DNF-d (did not finish) a few more. I like to run but the reality is, I like to run faster and shorter distance races. Unfortunately, I am not fast anymore (since my brain injury); and I fight. I think I originally signed up for the Leadville 100 in 2012 because after my hospitalization, I immediately hit the streets and began to run. I thought that by training for Leadville, my running sticks would come back to their pre TBI life. After all, it is what I did and remembered. However I couldn't run as I did. I went out every day at a 10:00 - 12:00 per mile pace. It angered me as a frequent sub 3:00 marathon runner. That winter while running I slipped on ice and broke my tibia and fibula requiring surgery and the insertion of titanium hardware throughout my leg. Another setback!  I couldn't run for months so I rode my bike a lot. This is a long story (that of my ongoing comeback) so I will jump ahead and leave it with, A traumatic brain injury is a massive destruction of the whole person. Everything is broken and has to be rebuilt. I am trying to prove that I can successfully return to a level of athletic performance that will belie both my injury and my advanced age. Over the past few years I have run multiple marathons in the 3:45 range (disappointingly). I have now dropped it down to 3:16 and have designs on a return to sub 3 hours. Today I am looking inside the belly of the beast. My 3rd attempt at the Keys 50. In 2013 I did not finish. I probably went out faster than my fitness level would allow and quit at mile 23. Not to mention that I was undoubtedly trying to do something a little soon in my recovery. In 2014 I had a successful race. I won my age group and finished 15th overall. This year it looks like great things are possible, but 50 miles is a long way and I will need to race smart. My pacer from last year, Samuel Jay Horwitz  is doing the race himself, so I will not have him to pace me. Mimi has arranged a great team to pace and crew for the race. I am very fortunate. Thank you, Mimi. I love you. 
Sunday
6 days until race day. I boosted my training over the last two weeks and averaged 85 miles per week. I dd manage a few long runs including a back to back to back long day efforts. This week will be critical and rest days are essential. I intend to keep my legs firing with a few shorter quality runs and keep my nutrition and hydration focused. I am confident that I have put the miles in and I am running well. Based on my improved race times so far this year and my increased overall mileage, I am as ready as I can be. There is nothing to be gained by heavy training this week (yes, I am pep-talking me up); but plenty to lose. The goal is to keep my running sticks firing and to arrive to the starting line rested and ready.
-
I am excited about the upcoming Elliott Smith documentary that is scheduled for release. He is one of my all-time favorites and one of my favorite concert promotion memories... I booked him two times in Denver, CO and both shows failed miserably. On the plus side, we became friends.

#ElliottSmith 

-

Training this week: (1 rest day) Run 44.95 mi

Sat Run - 3:30:08 - 21.23 mi 9:54  pace
Keys 50 DNF
Fri rest - travel

Thur Run - 1:41:00 - 11.81 mi - 8:33 pace - 127 avg hr
easy pace 
-
Wed rest day - 50 mile run on Saturday.
-
Tues AM Run 1:14:05 - 9.25 mi - 8:00 pace - 140 avg hr
Good strong effort...
PM Run 41:29 - 5.34 mi - 7:46 pace - 126 avg hr
World of Beer club run
-
Mon Run 1:03:23 - 8.4 mi - 7:32 pace - 139 avg hr

Good steady run on the Royal Palm route 

Sun Run 1:17:23 - 10.15 mi - 7:37 pace - 139 avg hr
Good run today. Now its time to taper and rest up.

Last week (1 rest day): Run 88.95 mi last month 318.92 mi last year 2,670.88 mi 

bike yr: 20.28mi          

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#traumatic #
BrainInjury #TBI #running #training #healing #politics #liberal #democratic #triathlons #UltraRunning #vegan #athletes #blogging #Google #Blogger #rants #howls #peace #love #WorldOfBeer #Beer #Facebook #marathon #PlantPower #liberal #secular #atheist #LeftWingPolitics #democratic #fitness #health #PlantBasedNutrition 
#traumatic #
BrainInjury #TBI #running #training #healing #politics #liberal #democratic #triathlons #UltraRunning #vegan #athletes #blogging #Google #Blogger #rants #howls #peace #love #WorldOfBeer #Beer #Facebook #marathon #PlantPower #liberal #secular #atheist #LeftWingPolitics #democratic #fitness #health #PlantBasedNutrition 

No comments:

Post a Comment